Sunday, January 5, 2014

It's a New Day

We woke up today feeling less and less sick.  I seriously have been struggling with altitude sickness, with headaches, fatigue, and malaise.  I guess you could expect that after living 12 feet above sea level for the past two years and now finding ourselves at 8500 feet, yikes.  We rested for some time and drank lots of water.  Jared then went out and found breakfast and coming home with incredible chocolate croissants and coffee, for $4.00 total.  Again, we are loving the prices.  We couldn’t wait to leave our hostel from the last two nights and had found an amazing place, even cheaper than the last but with a lot more to offer. 

As we loaded up all our stuff and hailed two different taxis to follow each other across town to our new hostel, I was amazed at really how little stuff we have for the next few months. 

We were so happy to get to our new pad and check in, Coco went right up to Victor the host and asked for another Mora drink (she is seriously obsessed with them).  She stole our camera these are the following images from our photographer:
Except I took this one!

We then decided to rest for a bit and start to check out the city this afternoon. 

They were having a celebration (which is no surprise as I guess they are always celebrating something) and there were people, animals and horses everywhere.  Parade floats and the churches were flooded with people celebrating, from what I was able to grasp King Herod's decree to kill first born children and Jesus’s escape.  So many of the children were dressed as angels or in fancy clothes. 

Again we are in amazed with the cleanliness of this city, its architecture, markets and friendly faces.  Though I have to say there is a ton of “making out” and Coco is in questioning why all the love bird.  :)  People continue to walk past her taking picture and even touching her hair.  They keep saying “awww princess”, lol!  She is really picking up the language and I hear her saying things often, like Buenos dias or Buenos tardes and Me llamo Coco, they literally think she’s a doll.

Coco told us today that she thinks this is the most beautiful place and that she loves the castles (churches).  Not to mention there is cotton candy, ice cream and toys on every street corner.  It is truly a city for families. 


We took a stroll down by the river, bought coconut water and a rose, some fresh fruit and just meandered… Today was a beautiful day and we are again, motivated for this journey. 

Tomorrow we meet with Martha the realtor to begin scoping out properties.  

Thank you, for many of your encouraging words after yesterdays post.  I also want to thank my dear friend Tara who encouraged me last night and reminded me of how I used to have a world map above my bed in our dorm room and I would dream of visiting far off places.  Those dreams seemed so far away while a sophomore in nursing school.   Tara, I couldn’t believe it when we walked into our new hostel room and guess what was over our bed???? a WORLD map!! 

People have circled their homes and no one has been from Montana, I can’t wait to add my home state to the map.. 

The quote from our first hostel had said “little by little we travel a far”… and.....I couldn’t agree more!! 



Our hostel aglow tonight!! ;)

1 comment:

  1. Annie and Jared! I am loving your blog and your journal entries from this adventure! So excited for your family and all the culture you will experience! I can't wait for another post. You mention on your first blog post that it was really hot, is it still warm now that you are 8500ft above sea level? How's the weather?

    ReplyDelete